My top priority this morning was to make a preliminary list of artists that could possibly comprise my top ten. Admittedly, it is hard for me to narrow down, because what I listen to repeatedly and what I love to hear are two very different things. There are albums that I can listen to every day of the week and never tire of, and there are the ones that I only listen to every few months, but feel that amazement each time. A whopping two albums were easy for me to come up with, mostly because one has never left my turntable, and the other is in constant rotation as well. So while I keep whittling down the list of 38 artists that made the first cut, I'll let you see the first few that are entirely obvious to me.
1. Elvis Costello, The Clarksdale Sessions
I found this at Pastor Paul's Acoustic Garage Sale at First Ave. a few years back, and really haven't let it out of my sight since. It was a limited release edition of seven songs that were on The Delivery Man. In all honesty, The Delivery Man would be here in place of The Clarksdale Sessions, but the novelty of finding an album I'd never heard of by one of my all-time favorite artists makes it seem pretty special. The standout on the album is The Monkey, which is a poem by Mutabaruka, the dub poet. Check it out if you haven't!
2. The Detroit Cobras, Mink Rat or Rabbit
I'm going to preface this by saying my long-standing crush on Rachel Nagy has absolutely nothing to do with the rating of this album. It does effect my enthusiasm for their live shows though! But really, Rachel can belt it out with the best of them, and the band (with their ever-evolving line-up) can rock hard. There really isn't a weak spot in the album, and if you like one song, you like them all. I think this could probably be classified as easy listening for the rockabilly crowd.

Ah Nosfell. Its not for everyone, and really, its more of a performance art than something to sit and listen to. Nosfell is a one-man band originally brought to my attention when my roommate's sister booked him at a few clubs around town after seeing him in Paris. The performances are what initially sold me, but also I have an affinity towards music in other languages, mostly because it keeps me from the temptation of singing (i.e. ruining whatever I'm listening to) or overanalyzing the lyrics. Fortunately, Nosfell makes up his own language (Klokobetz) and sings in that. His voice is great, and he does amazing things with his guitar. Kind of tribal-y, and really fun to listen to his pronunciation of the occasional English word. Any way you shake it, his magical made-up world of Klokochazia, that I really understand nothing about, is facsinating!
I don't care much for acronyms, but I like this album anyway. I love that old-time, clean sound. The seriousness of some of the songs hardly comes through with how playful they are, and I appreciate that. Sometimes you want to listen to music with an interesting story, but not have it bring you down, and thats really what this album does for me.

For some reason, the mellow vibe of this album just puts me in a nice mental place. It has the same effect on me as a warm breeze on a boat--insta-calm. Folky singers have a special place in my heart, and Sam Beam is no exception. I suppose something about a slide guitar makes it climb the ranks pretty quickly in my book!
Well, those are the first half. I can imagine the second half is going to be twice as hard!
1. Elvis Costello, The Clarksdale Sessions
I found this at Pastor Paul's Acoustic Garage Sale at First Ave. a few years back, and really haven't let it out of my sight since. It was a limited release edition of seven songs that were on The Delivery Man. In all honesty, The Delivery Man would be here in place of The Clarksdale Sessions, but the novelty of finding an album I'd never heard of by one of my all-time favorite artists makes it seem pretty special. The standout on the album is The Monkey, which is a poem by Mutabaruka, the dub poet. Check it out if you haven't!
2. The Detroit Cobras, Mink Rat or Rabbit

I'm going to preface this by saying my long-standing crush on Rachel Nagy has absolutely nothing to do with the rating of this album. It does effect my enthusiasm for their live shows though! But really, Rachel can belt it out with the best of them, and the band (with their ever-evolving line-up) can rock hard. There really isn't a weak spot in the album, and if you like one song, you like them all. I think this could probably be classified as easy listening for the rockabilly crowd.
3. Nosfell, Pomaie Klokochazia Balek

Ah Nosfell. Its not for everyone, and really, its more of a performance art than something to sit and listen to. Nosfell is a one-man band originally brought to my attention when my roommate's sister booked him at a few clubs around town after seeing him in Paris. The performances are what initially sold me, but also I have an affinity towards music in other languages, mostly because it keeps me from the temptation of singing (i.e. ruining whatever I'm listening to) or overanalyzing the lyrics. Fortunately, Nosfell makes up his own language (Klokobetz) and sings in that. His voice is great, and he does amazing things with his guitar. Kind of tribal-y, and really fun to listen to his pronunciation of the occasional English word. Any way you shake it, his magical made-up world of Klokochazia, that I really understand nothing about, is facsinating!
4. Old Crow Medicine Show, O.C.M.S.
I don't care much for acronyms, but I like this album anyway. I love that old-time, clean sound. The seriousness of some of the songs hardly comes through with how playful they are, and I appreciate that. Sometimes you want to listen to music with an interesting story, but not have it bring you down, and thats really what this album does for me.
5. Iron & Wine, The Creek Drank the Cradle

For some reason, the mellow vibe of this album just puts me in a nice mental place. It has the same effect on me as a warm breeze on a boat--insta-calm. Folky singers have a special place in my heart, and Sam Beam is no exception. I suppose something about a slide guitar makes it climb the ranks pretty quickly in my book!
Well, those are the first half. I can imagine the second half is going to be twice as hard!


4 comments:
You have no idea how hard the second half is. I didn't know you liked rock-a-billy. Not many people do. Good first 5
Let's listen to some Nosfell soon!
I'll try to get a hold of it some how. When you and Janice come up you both should bring your music and we'll have a swap. I'll get Justin in on it too.
We can listen to it this weekend! But you guys should check him out on youtube, see what all the craziness is all about!
Post a Comment