Sunday, March 30, 2008

Top albums sound off, Steve, part 2

Ok, so the first half was easy, but now I'm taking the musical bull by his horns and I'm going to fight this beast into submission (yeah right).

6. Beck, Guerolito


So, I love Beck. My favorite Beck moment was when he was on SNL and performed the song, Clap Hands, and the rest of the band backed him up by playing a dinner table. Oh, the puppets, can't forget them! If you can find the video, watch it. So onto the album. Trying to figure out which Beck album I liked best was hard, really hard. He reinvents himself so so much that it is hard to find just one. Each album stands on it's own. I picked Guerolito because it is not easy to take your own album and then remix it into something completely different. I don't think i could do that and then have it come out as good as Guerolito did. Oh, Beck.

7. John Denver, The Wildlife Concert



For those who do not have the pleasure of knowing me (I'm adorable), I'm kinda a hippie. Like only 5% of me is a hippie. OK, fine you caught me lying. I'm damn near a full blown hippie, if you read this book by the cover you wouldn't guess this. But, I'm old fashioned, my beliefs and the way I try to conduct myself is very hippie-esque. Being a student of Buddhism also helps this. So this is one of the reasons that I love John Denver. Plus, my mom listened to him all the time when I was a child (still one at heart). But out of all of the John Denver that I know and love, the Wild Life Concert stands out the most to me. It does have a lot of the perennial Denver classics, but it also has some of the rarer gems, and there is what the concert itself stood for. Thanks John for doing what you did for the world, you are missed by at least this music blogger.

8. Jurassic 5, Jurassic 5


Jurassic 5 gives me hope for rap. Don't get me wrong, I like some rap, but not all. I can see that it has it's place, but I just can't dig into most of it. But Jurassic 5 on the other hand I'm ecstatic about. The music that they come up with is fantastic! It has a good strong beat and under beat. They also tend to stay away from being negative. Yes there are other rap acts that I like, but as of now and as of an album as a whole this is where it is at. So "rap" your head around some J5 and they'll give you your Lesson 6: The Lecture.

Almost there, I know that I am missing something, and yes there are a lot of other bands I love, but we're looking at albums here man.

9. The Nightwatchman, One Man Revolution


Rage Against the Machine was/is/will be amazing. They were revolutionary and volitile. We needed that, we also needed them when the Iraq war broke out. But they were not around. Tom Morello was. His solo act, The Nightwatchman is as politically charged as RATM, but with the grassroots appeal. He feels more like the everyman instead of a guitar god. His voice also grounds him. We needed this. RATM was huge, but their size was their down fall. People looked past the messages and listened to the wizardry of Morello. But now that Tom has stripped away the amp and killswitch we find the gritty message. A message that needs to be heard, we need something to hope for, something to get us fired up, to inspire us, and for us to rally behind!

10. Raidohead, Kid A or Ok Computer or Hail to the Theif or In Rainbows

Come on, come on. This is a no brainer, yes. I love the rest of the discography, but these are my top! I don't know what else to say.

Sorry that this had a terrible ending. I'm getting tired and I just couldn't bring it down to one album. This is not as easy as you would think. I listen to A LOT of music, and a lot of different music too. Just to put it out there, I WILL NOT PARTICIPATE IN A TOP 10 SONGS POST. No way. I think I would have a brain aneurism if I had to subject myself to that. Well, hopefully we start to see the other writers throw down their top tens. If you are interested in joining us for this adventure just e-mail me and we'll talk. As for now, Peace be with you and may you spread peace where ever you go.

No comments: