Manu Chao, Clandestino
For our international readers this album might not be a surprise. I have fallen head first for Manu. His music is great, but it is what he stands for and how he conducts his life that I most admire. For such a powerful artist, he still stays connected to the little people. Not like Bono or Angelia Jolie, where we start to doubt how sincere they are. But, from what I have learned about Manu, he truly cares. So on to his music. Manu Chao's Clandestino, is truly world music. I usually hate how American record producers and shops have the "world music" section. It comes off as the "and here are some artists not from the US of A". It comes off as some back-handed complement. But Manu seems to have taken "world music" to heart. His albums are packed with the different sounds of the world and languages. I don't feel like I can fully appreciate most of the album because of my own personal language barrier, but after listening to Manu I am compelled to fix that. But if you listen to his voice just as an instrument and not as words, you are treated to some wonderful music. It is hard for me to pick out a solitary song that I enjoy the most. Bongo Bong was stuck in my head for a very, very long time. Not because it is one of two English tracks, but that helps, but it has one hell of a beat. When you listen to the second song, Desaparecido, you hear this toy that plays a descending scale. The sound has a crass feel to it. But he uses the toy's sound throughout the entire album. It's fun. Other notable tracks are Luna y Sol with it sharp turmpets and the dub-inspired track Minha Galera. All in all this is album is a great way to get introduced to Manu Chao. I would also suggest doing a little research into his life, it is fascinating. Q did a great article on him in their April issue. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment